Free Bonus Courses!
Children's Book Pro comes with FREE bonus courses to help you along the way!
Live Zoom Sessions!
Weekly live zoom call with your instructors! We will be on call to answer your questions!
Exclusive Social Group on Discord
Meet your fellow students! Get feedback on your work from your peers, or just show off a cool new image you made.
Taught by 3 top-tier professional Children's Book Illustrators
True "start-to-finish" class guiding students to finished portfolio pieces
Guided assignments and checklists so you always know what comes next
Step-by-step process detailing Planning, Production, and Publishing
Easy-to-understand actionable assignments
Over 20 hours of demos, lectures, and teaching content
How long will I have access to the videos?
As long as SVSLearn is around! Once you purchase the class you are free to access the content anytime. Since your purchase never expires you can take as much time as you need to create the images that will end up in your portfolio.
Is this class good for me if I am a beginner? Or a pro?
This class is intended for anyone who wants to illustrate picture books! The content is good for a beginner and you can use it over and over as you build your skill set. Advanced students or professionals will be able to use the content immediately to take your work to the next level.
How long does the class take?
We have the class broken into 10 weekly sessions, but you have as much time as you need to complete the course. Some parts of the course, such as making your book dummy, will take longer than others, so the overall length of time will vary from person to person. You always have access to the content so we encourage you to take as much time as you need to create your best work.
What is the refund policy?
100% refund if you cancel by Week 2 / 50% refund if you cancel by Week 3 / No refunds after Week 3.
When does the class start?
New class starting in 2023. Each week new content will be released until the course is finished (ten weeks total).
Do I have to work digitally or traditionally?
We show some demos in Photoshop, but the content here is intended to be made in any medium. We all work in different ways and this class is fine for however you want to work.
Is CBPro included in the SVSLearn video subscription?
No. CBPro was designed to be a deep dive into children's book illustration, with a live component for students to ask questions of the instructors. SVSLearn is geared toward building basic illustration skills through video-only instruction.
Is there a payment plan available?
Yes! We now offer an option to do 3 payments of $199 each.
This was an amazingly comprehensive course and with three experienced teachers who each give their own perspective is so valuable. I'm going to go back and r...Read More
This was an amazingly comprehensive course and with three experienced teachers who each give their own perspective is so valuable. I'm going to go back and retake several of these classes in the future, as I progress. Even though I already work in the industry, I felt I learnt a bunch. It's a real deep dive into the world of creating amazing children's books! Thank you guys for creating this!Read Less
This class was my first experience using SVS Learn. I completed the class in my spare time and learned a lot. As always, Will, Jake, and Lee did an awesome ...Read More
This class was my first experience using SVS Learn. I completed the class in my spare time and learned a lot. As always, Will, Jake, and Lee did an awesome teaching. Well worth the cost, and I plan on taking it again, along with new (to me) classes at SVS Learn. Thanks guys! The journey continues.Read Less
The wisdom of 3 prolific artists offer a lifetime of learning in just 10-weeks leaving you breathless. After being an SVS subscriber for almost 2 years, I ca...Read More
The wisdom of 3 prolific artists offer a lifetime of learning in just 10-weeks leaving you breathless. After being an SVS subscriber for almost 2 years, I can wholeheartedly say Children’s Book Pro is by far the most comprehensive course available, which absolutely opened my eyes to so many ideas, process improvements, differing methodologies and provided me with insights to help me pursue my writing and artistic ventures on a whole new level. I’m especially grateful for finding the SVS community through the 3-Point Perspective Podcast and for the amazing opportunity to enroll in the first-ever Children’s Book Pro course. As a 42 year old husband and father just beginning to explore making children’s books part-time, this course is an invaluable resource and roadmap to keep me working towards my dreams of being a successful children’s book illustrator.Read Less
Informative, fun and extremely condensed with information. Having live Q&A zoom sessions and a pear group available keeps one motivated and on track as o...Read More
Informative, fun and extremely condensed with information. Having live Q&A zoom sessions and a pear group available keeps one motivated and on track as opposed to an online course that is completed in your own time and forgotten when schedules get busy. Great setup! Very professional and informative leaders. Thanks guys!Read Less
Welcome to the class
- 0.1: Teacher Introduction
WEEK 1: Getting started
- 1.1: Overview of Children's Book Pro
- 1.2: Amazing Books
- 1.3: Types of Books
- 1.4: Anatomy of a Children’s Book
- 1.5: Children’s Book Map
- RESOURCE: Children's book breakdown pdf
- HOMEWORK 1A: Amazing Books!
- The Children's Book Map
Week 2: The Manuscript
- 2.1: Manuscript Introduction
- 2.2: Manuscript Breakdown
- 2.3: How to Paginate
- HOMEWORK 2A: Working with your Manuscript
- Manuscript Visual Breakdown PDF
- Pagination Assignment
WEEK 3: Characters
- LECTURE 3.1: Analyzing Characters from Different Children's Books
- LECTURE 3.2: Drawing Kids vs Adults
- LECTURE 3.3: Character Consistency
- LECTURE 3.4: Stylizing Characters
- LECTURE 3.5a: Character Design (Lee)
- LECTURE 3.5b: Character Pose Sheet (Lee)
- LECTURE 3.5c: Character Pose Sheet pt 2 (Lee)
- LECTURE 3.6a: Character Design: Awesome Man Design (Jake)
- LECTURE 3.6b: Character Design: Awesome Man Demo (Jake)
- LECTURE 3.7a: Character Design: Skeleton Design (Will)
- LECTURE 3.7b: Character Design: Skeleton Demo (Will)
- LECTURE 3.8: Drawing realistic Animals
- LECTURE 3.9: Drawing Anthropomorphic Animals
- LECTURE 3.10: Drawing Stylized Animals
- HOMEWORK 3A: Character Interview
- HOMEWORK 3B: Design Your Characters
- HOMEWORK 3C: Character Structure
- HOMEWORK 3D: Character Pose Assignment
- HOMEWORK 3E: Animal Pose Assignment
- OPTIONAL HOMEWORK 3F: Anthropomorphic Animal Design Practice
WEEK 4: Environments and Props
- LECTURE 4.1: Exteriors vs Interiors
- LECTURE 4.2: Structure and Volume in environments
- LECTURE 4.3: Stylizing Environments
- LECTURE 4.4: Drawing Props
- DEMO 4.5a: Little Red Riding Hood Exterior (Lee)
- DEMO 4.5b: Exterior of Jack's House (Jake)
- DEMO 4.5c: Kitchen Interior (Will)
- HOMEWORK 4A: Design an interior and exterior from your manuscript
WEEK 5: Spots, Pages, and Spreads
- LECTURE 5.1: Spots, Pages, and Spreads
- LECTURE 5.2: Composition Guidelines
- LECTURE 5.3: Focal Point
- LECTURE 5.4: The Peg-Leg Pig
- LECTURE 5.5: Little Bot and Sparrow Case Study
- NO HOMEWORK: CATCH UP WEEK
WEEK 6: The Dummy
- LECTURE 6.1: Process and Procedures
- LECTURE 6.2a Basic Indesign (Lee)
- LECTURE 6.2b: How to use the templates (Lee)
- DEMO 6.3a: 3 Little Pigs (Will)
- DEMO 6.3b: 3 Little Pigs (Jake)
- DEMO 6.3c: 3 Little Pigs (Lee)
- HOMEWORK 6A: Create a THUMBNAIL dummy
- RESOURCE: Photoshop and InDesign Templates
- RESOURCE: DUMMY LAYOUT
- Picture Book Breakdown: Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett and Jon Klassen
WEEK 7: Dummy Work Week
- LECTURE 7.1 You Got This! Keep going!
- LECTURE 7.2 Book Dummy Process with Lee: This Pretty Planet
- Lecture 7.3 Book Dummy Process with Will: Boneparte Plays Ball
WEEK 8: Publishing
- Week 8 Introduction
- LECTURE 8.1: Production Process
- LECTURE 8.2: Design Your Cover
- LECTURE 8.3: Prepping Files for Print
- LECTURE 8.4: Adding a Dedication
- RESOURCE: 7-Step check list for prepping photoshop files
- HOMEWORK 8A: Illustrate a Spot
- HOMEWORK 8B: Illustrate a Page
- HOMEWORK 8C: Illustrate a Spread
WEEK 9: Getting Professional
- LECTURE 9.1: Building a Portfolio
- LECTURE 9.2: Making Your Website
- LECTURE 9.3: Social Media for Illustrators
- LECTURE 9.4: Submitting Manuscripts to Publishers
- LECTURE 9.5: Self Publishing Your Book
WEEK 10: Conclusion
- LECTURE 10.1: Final Thoughts