Limit: 15 students
- Course Overview:
Are you wanting to get started with painting digitally but don't know where to start?
Do you Struggle with getting your paintings to look good but can't seem to figure out what to do?
Do you spend hours revising and "fixing" images trying to get them to look right? If so, then this class is for you!
Lee White's 10 week painting class will take you step by step into working digitally in a way that helps make painting easy!
This is an interactive class that will take 10 weeks to complete. You will receive direct feedback weekly by the instructor to help you with your specific problems.
(Note: This class will become available to subscribers in Fall 2019).
Who is this class good for?
Beginners: This class starts at the very beginning and assumes no knowledge of photoshop or digital painting.
Intermediate/Advanced: This class can change the way you think about making images. If you are stuggling to make the work you know you can do, this class might be a way of cleaning up some bad habits you may picked up.
Here is a quick video that explains some more about who should take this class:
In this class we will focus on setting up solid work habits that help you work through typical problems that beginners (and advanced students!) make when painting.
The main goal is to give you a process and tackle each problem one at a time instead. Lee will give very specific assignments and exercises to get you on track to being able to critique your own work and solve problems as they arrive.
Here is some information on our weekly schedule:
Here are a few things we will focus on:
Steps to Successful painting:
in this class you will learn how to:
- Use the Right tools for the job
- Control your values
- Control your edges
- Be deliberate with color
- Use composition effectively
- Understand how to start finding your style.
You will develop a system of painting that works for any subject matter or style.
This class will prepare you for more advanced classes such as "Painting textures with WIll Terry" and Digital Painting 2.
How the class works:
In this class Lee will give you both "in-class" assignments as well as bigger homework assignments. Each of these assignments has been made to build a step by step approach to painting. Each assignment builds on the one before it.
Fast Internet connection This is an online class so internet connectivity is essential. Class instruction and demos are viewable for online streaming but will not be downloadable.
Photoshop is best, but similar programs will work (procreate, etc). All demos will be in photoshop, but the techniques will transfer to any painting software. (Note: Lee will not be answering specific technical problems in any software except Photoshop).
- Tablet or Cintiq: You will need a stylus and a tablet or Cintiq to be able to do the exercises in this class.
Drawing Skill: You should have a basic understanding of how to draw. Watch Jake Parker's "How to Draw Everything" video if you haven't already done so. The requirements here are basic. We won't be doing any perspective intensive exercises or anything, but you should feel comfortable drawing basic shapes, etc.
Dates: Tuesdays starting Jan. 22
Class Time: The video instruction for this class will be available on Tuesdays at 9am Central Time (USA). You can watch the videos at any point which is convenient.
Critiques: You will upload your work to the class site and I will do a video crit of your work. Video critiques will be uploaded late in the day on Tuesdays.
- Cost is $500 for non svslearn members and $450 for subscribers. if you want the subscription price simply go to our site and subscribe either yearly or monthly before you purchase this class.
- Enrollment is limited to 15 students.
- There will be weekly homework assignments (plan for this!)
- We will be using a new class "shell" that will contain all the downloadable info/details (you will be sent a link once you are enrolled in the class)
- cancellation up to 14 days before class starts: full refund
- cancellation 1 - 13 days before class starts: 75% refund
- cancellation during the first week of class: 50% refund
- cancellation during the second week of class and after: 0%
Please Note: When you enroll, we are reserving your seat, and others are not able to sign up. Because it can be challenging to fill seats when there are last minute cancellations, we only offer partial refunds once we are within 13 days of the class start date. However, if you are able to sell your seat to another student, we are happy to give a full refund 😀
Frequently Asked Questions:
Will we be meeting at a specific time each week? Nope, I'll upload each week's content on Tuesdays and you can watch at any time.
You will upload your homework to the site and I will give you a video critique of your work.
More FAQ coming soon...
- Introduce yourself! : )
- Weekly Schedule
- Intro to the Class Shell
- Recommended Reading and Links
- Intro to photoshop interface and basics
- Making a New Document
- Photoshop Palettes
- Basic Brush Settings
- Layer Basics
- Selection Tool Video addendum
- Selection Tools
- Basic Digital Sketching
- Notes about the questions below
- QUESTIONS/COMMENTS FROM INTERFACE SECTION
- Lecture: Controlling Values
- In Class exercise 1: Notan Basic Shapes
- Classwork Assignment #1: Notan Basic Shapes
- In Class Exercise 2- Notan copies
- In Class Exercise 2: Notan Copies
- In Class Exercise 3: Notan From Reference
- In Class Exercise 3: Notan from Reference
- Lecture: Limited Value Painting
- Demo: 5 Value Painting
- Homework 1_5 Value Breakdown
- Video: Homework #1 Instructions
- Homework Formatting in Photoshop
- PDF- Classwork/Homework References
- WEEK 1 QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS
- WEEK 1 HOMEWORK TURN IN
- Into to the critiques
- Order for Crit Group 1
- Critique Video Group 1
- Order for Crit Group 2
- Critique Video 2
- Sobia crit
- Lecture: Artists using Value effectively
- In Class Exercise: 5 Value Blending
- Note about sound in the demos
- Painting Secrets_wk 2 demo 1
- Painting Secrets_wk 2 demo 2
- Painting Secrets_wk 2 demo 3
- Video: Homework Instructions
- Homework 2_Blended Value Painting
- WEEK 2 QUESTIONS & COMMENTS
- WEEK 2 HOMEWORK TURN IN
- Week 2 homework crit intro
- Crit 1 list
- Critique Group 1
- Crit 2 list
- Critique Group 2 Video
- In Class Exercise: Color mixing
- Artist Lecture: Pascal Campion and Craig Mullens
- Artist Lecture: Khang Le
- Demo: Color Match 1
- Demo: Color Match 2
- Color Match Instructions
- In Class Exercise 1
- In Class Exercise 2
- Demo: Color Speed Paint 1
- Demo: Speed painting demo 2
- Demo: Speed painting demo 3
- Demo: Speed painting demo 3.1
- Demo: Speed painting demo 4
- Lecture: Khang le process pics
- Homework Instructions Video
- Homework 3_Color Speed Painting
- Artist reference photos
- New Photo reference
- WEEK 3 QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS
- WEEK 3 HOMEWORK TURN IN
- CRIT GROUP 1 LIST
- Week Three Crit 1
- CRIT GROUP 2 LIST
- Week Three Crit 2
- Note about week 3 homework critique!
- Lecture: Local Tone
- Lecure: Artist Who Use Local Tone Well (Brom & Sarah Sedwick)
- Tool Lecture: Soft Brush
- Tool Lecture: Layer Masks
- Path Tool Demo
- Path tool exercise pdf
- In Class Exercise: Grey Spheres
- Homework 4_Nice Vase Painting
- Vase Reference photo
- Vase Sketch PSD
- Homwork Vase Demo 1
- Vase Demo 2
- Homework Vase Demo 3
- Homework Vase demo 4
- Homework Vase Demo 5
- Bonus Homework Assignment
- WEEK 4 QUESTIONS & COMMENTS
- WEEK 4 HOMEWORK TURN IN
- Week 5 intro
- group 1
- Week 4 crit 1
- group 2
- Week 4 crit 2
- Classwork and Homework
- Textures and Patterns from online sources
- Making your own textures
- Note to Procreate and other software users
- Photomerge Download Files
- Demo and Exercise- Overlay texture and pattern
- Basic Brush Sets
- Kyles Brush Sets (Photoshop 2018 only)
- Brush Creation: Chaos to Control
- Brush Video resouces
- Custom rolled Ink Brush Stamping
- Kyles Brush Sets (Photoshop 2018 only)
- WEEK 5 QUESTIONS & COMMENTS
- WEEK 5 HOMEWORK TURN IN
- week 6 notes
- Break down of lighting
- In class exercise: Paint and label a ball like this one
- Demo: Shiny Red Ball
- In Class Exercise: Paint Shiny Red Ball
- Demo: Shiny Bear
- Homework: Shiny Teddy Bear Download PSD
- Demo: Chrome
- In-Class exercise
- Additional resourses and suggestions
- WEEK 6 QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS
- WEEK 6 HOMEWORK TURN IN
- Week 6 crit intro WITH SOUND
- Group 1 crit
- Group 2 crit
- Intro To Style Week
- Style Discussion with Lee, Jake, and WIll
- Homwork Directions
- Homework 1: Dream Portfolio
- Homework 2: Dream Portfolio Questions
- WEEK 7 QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS
- WEEK 7 HOMEWORK TURN IN
- WEEK 7 CRIT
- Week 8 Lecture, mini-Crit, and Assignment
- Notes for week 8
- WEEK 8 QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS
- WEEK 8 HOMEWORK TURN IN
- Week 8 Crit intro
- Group crit 1
- Group 2 Crit
- Instructions for week 9
- WEEK 9 QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS
- WEEK 9 HOMEWORK TURN IN
- Week 10 farewell
- Final Crit!
- Nadya Final Crit!
- Josephine Final Crit!
- Week 10 QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS