Lee White David Hohn
About the instructor
Lee White has been working professionally for over 20 years. He has illustrated over 25 books for clients including Disney, Random House, Scholastic, Candlewick, Arthur Levine, and many others.
In addition to illustration, Lee taught full time at the college level for over 10 years before becoming a co-owner of SVS.
David Hohn has been working full time as a freelance illustrator for the last 15 years. Working primarily in the juvenile and children's markets he has illustrated more than 40 children's picture books, middle grade and YA projects, along with countless theater poster, magazine and licensing projects. Clients include Scholastic, Viking, Random House, Bloomsbury, Electronic Arts, Nike, Fisher Price, Disney and more. His work has been recognized by SCBWI, 3x3, Creative Quarterly, Communication Arts, Society of Illustrators New York, Society of Illustrators Los Angeles. His days are spent in his studio imagining what it would be like to be someone else, doing something else – and then he paints it.
Illustration 1: Turbocharging your creativity
Everything you wanted to know about how to come up with good concepts in your illustrations!
This entry level course will walk you step by step through the process of coming up with good ideas for your images. Every image is built on the foundation of an idea. But clever, visually captivating ideas can be difficult to generate, especially on demand and on a deadline.
This 9 week course is designed to identify and cultivate the use of techniques specifically for idea generation. Starting with the fundamentals, students will build on each ideation technique in a clear and understandable way, eventually allowing you to mix and match techniques in a way that suits your artistic inclinations.
NOTE: THIS CLASS IS NOT AVAILABLE AS A SUBSCRIPTION, IT IS AN INTERACTIVE CLASS AND IS NOT INCLUDED WITH SUBSCRIPTIONS. WE ARE WORKING ON FIXING THE LISTING SOON.
In this class you will learn how to:
- get past that first idea to the really good ones!
- Techniques to come up with more creative content
- What key words are and why they are vital
- The importance of getting a solid process for making images
- How to lay the design foundation of a successful image
- Make thoughtful and engaging images that have meaning
- Work on your own to develop portfolio quality images
- This class will prepare you to go into more advanced illustration and painting classes
This Class will consist of 9 weekly classes. All class content will be downloadable and you can watch it at your convienience (you can take this class no matter what time zone you are in!). You will then do your assignment and upload it to Lee and David. They will provide weekly video critiques of your work. In addition, there will be an active discussion area where you can ask questions at any time.
In each class David and Lee will present an idea or topic and go over how to do it. This will consist of video lectures, demos, pdf handouts, etc.
Included with the class:
Access to all class materials during your enrollment
Discussion area to ask questions during the week
Downloadable homework and resource files
Individual video critiques weekly
- Basic level of drawing ability
- Good internet connection
- Drawing/painting supplies (digital and traditional are both ok)
Class will start on July 11, 2017. Each week content will be released at noon for you to watch at your own convienience. Classes are pre-recoreded so you DO NOT have to be able to watch them on tuesdays specifically.
- Cost is $500 for non svslearn members and $450 for subscribers. if you want the subscription price simply go to our site and subscribe either yearly or monthly before you purchase this class.
- Enrollment is limited to 18 students.
- There will be weekly homework assignments (plan for this!)
- We will do 4 assignments in total over the course of 9 weeks
- We will be using a new class "shell" that will contain all the downloadable info/details (you will be sent a link once you are enrolled in the class)
- Week 2: Plan
- Week 2 Lecture: Keywords and greyscale studies
- Demo Movie Stills- Digital Lasso Tool
- Demo Movie Stills- grey paper
- Demo: Movie Stills- marker on white paper
- Demo Movie Stills - Pencil on white
- Week 2 Homework Assignment video
- Homework:Proj 2 Download: Designing Images
- Crit: Group 1 List
- Crit: Project 1: Effective Thumbnails: Group 1
- Crit: Group 2 List
- Crit: Project 1: Effective Thumbnails: Group 2
- Week 3 plan
- Week 3- Mindmapping lecture
- Week 3- Compostion lecture
- Comp Process
- Homework: Proj 3: Celebrity Portrait
- Week 3 Homework- Celebrity Portrait
- Crit List 1: Lee group
- Crit List 1 Video: Lee
- Crit List 1 (additions): Lee
- Crit list 1 (additions) Video: Lee
- Crit Video 2: David
- Crit List 2: David