Start Date: Thursday Jan. 24, 2019
10 Week class
Enrollment limited to 16 people.
Illustration 1: Turbocharging your creativity
Everything you wanted to know about how to come up with good concepts in your illustrations!
This entry level course will walk you step by step through the process of coming up with good ideas for your images. Every image is built on the foundation of an idea. But clever, visually captivating ideas can be difficult to generate, especially on demand and on a deadline.
This course is designed to identify and cultivate the use of techniques specifically for idea generation. Starting with the fundamentals, students will build on each ideation technique in a clear and understandable way, eventually allowing you to mix and match techniques in a way that suits your artistic inclinations.
In this class you will learn how to:
- Get past that first idea to the really good ones!
- Techniques to come up with more creative content
- What key words are and why they are vital
- The importance of getting a solid process for making images
- How to lay the design foundation of a successful image
- Make thoughtful and engaging images that have meaning
- Work on your own to develop portfolio quality images
- This class will prepare you to go into more advanced illustration and painting classes
This Class will consist of 10 weekly classes. All class content will be online and you can watch it at your convienience (you can take this class no matter what time zone you are in!). You will then do your assignment and upload it to Lee and David. They will provide weekly video critiques of your work. In addition, there will be an active discussion area where you can ask questions at any time.
In each class David and Lee will present an idea or topic and go over how to do it. This will consist of video lectures, demos, pdf handouts, etc.
Included with the class:
- Access to all class materials during your enrollment
- Discussion area to ask questions during the week
- Downloadable homework and resource files
- Individual video critiques weekly
- Basic level of drawing ability
- Good internet connection
- Drawing/painting supplies (digital and traditional are both ok)
Class will go from Thurs Jan. 24th -March 28. Each week content will be released at noon for you to watch at your own convienience. Classes are pre-recoreded so you DO NOT have to be able to watch them on tuesdays specifically.
- Cost is $500 for non svslearn members and $450 for subscribers.
- Enrollment is limited to 16 students.
- There will be weekly homework assignments (plan for this!)
- We will do 4 assignments in total over the course of 9 weeks
- We will be using a new class "shell" that will contain all the downloadable info/details (you will be sent a link once you are enrolled in the class)
- cancellation up to 14 days before class starts: full refund
- cancellation 1 - 13 days before class starts: 75% refund
- cancellation during the first week of class: 50% refund
- cancellation during the second week of class and after: 0%
Please Note: When you enroll, we are reserving your seat, and others are not able to sign up. Because it can be challenging to fill seats when there are last minute cancellations, we only offer partial refunds once we are within 13 days of the class start date. However, if you are able to sell your seat to another student, we are happy to give a full refund 😀
Week 1: Ideation: Bunny's Sledgehammer
LECTURE: Good Beginnings
DEMO: Marker and Pen Thumbnails
DEMO: Watercolor and Brush Pen Thumbnails
DEMO: Mechanical Pencil Thumbnails
DEMO: Digital Thumbnails
HOMEWORK PDF: Effective Thumbnails
HOMEWORK VIDEO INSTRUCTIONS
NOTES FOR TURNING HOMEWORK IN
WEEK 1 QUESTIONS/COMMNETS
WEEK 1 HOMEWORK TURN IN
*WEEK 1 HOMEWORK CRITIQUES*
Week 2: Designing Images: Value, Silhouette & Emotional Intent
Week 2: Plan
Week 2 Lecture: Keywords and greyscale studies
Demo: Movie Stills- Digital Lasso Tool
Demo: Movie Stills- marker on white paper
Demo: Movie Stills- grey paper
Demo: Movie Stills - Pencil on white
Week 2 Homework Assignment video
Homework: Proj 2: Designing Images
HOMEWORK REFERENCE DOWNLOADS
WEEK 2 QUESTIONS/COMMENTS
WEEK 2 HOMEWORK TURN IN
Week 3: Ideation: Keywords pearl diving
Week 4: Celebrity portrait crits
*WEEK 4 CRITS*
Week 5: Ideation: Picking the moment
*WEEK 5 HOMEWORK CRITIQUES*
Week 6: Crit of picking the moment sketches
Week 7: Visual Metaphor
Week7- Lecture- Visual Metaphor
Metaphore Lecture Examples
Metaphor Homework Instructions
Homework: Proj 5: Metaphorial Article
Homework Article 1 PDF: How rabbit genes could turn ordinary houseplants into pollution-eating machines
Homework Article 2 PDF: Americans are struggling with their credit card debts, and 2 million accounts fell seriously behind in 2018 | Markets Insider
Homework Article 3: Trump's Wall
WEEK 7 COMMENTS AND QUESTIONS
WEEK 7 HOMEWORK TURN IN