Great ideas aren't found, they are forged. Ideas are pursued, shaped, refined and crafted. The world of commercial art requires the professional visual artist, illustrator, animator and designer to work within the confines of time, space, audience and story.
IDEATION LAB 01 introduces specific methodologies for generating authentic ideas within the limitations of commercial projects.
Discovered and put to use through my career as an illustrator, artist, writer, Professor and as Founder of Legendeer, this program outlines an explanation of the problems that we face, and delivers a specific process by which to solve them. I have shared and refined the principles of this course over years of teaching professionals and students across disciplines as varied as illustration, animation, design, painting, gaming, comics, science fiction, fantasy, fashion, business, dance, advertising, editorial, and illustrated books.
This four week, self-paced course pairs you with other students within the same enrollment period. Through the discussion forum, share in your idea development and growth as you receive twice a week lessons, assignments, demonstrations, case studies and relevant course materials. Ideation Lab O1 is a prerequisite for Ideation Lab O2: Making Commercial Work Personal.
Learn to generate unique ideas that communicate powerful messages. Ideation Lab O1 is dedicated to understanding how to work within the confines of client projects and to use those limitations as powerful tools in shaping a unique ideas
Students completing this 4 week course will have a clear understanding in how to approach client problem solving and limitations and how to use those limitations to produce intelligent and thoughtful solutions. Students will leave this course having identified the next steps required to move them forward in their creative development.
Over the past twenty years working as a professional commercial artist and Professor, I have developed a specific methodology to teaching that is designed to make efficient use of student time and to shorten the time it takes to develop more advanced, professional level skills. Students will have three types of assignments listed as:
Primary, Secondary and a Final Project. Each type focuses on different levels of skill, idea, process and completion.
Learn how to:
- Break down complex stories into simple elements.
- Develop your own creative way of shaping and sharing ideas.
- Generate creative solutions within client constraints.
- Give yourself relevant assignments for your own professional development.
- Better understand when ideas working.
- Use specific tools and materials to amplify your concepts.
This course is made up of three types of videos:
1: Lessons- Videos that address specific topics each week.
2: Demos- Video lessons that demonstrate specific techniques, processes and applications
3: Case Studies: Videos that feature projects from inception to completion across a wide range of project types.
Beginning to Intermediate.
Commitment, Time, Computer access, Quality internet connection.
To be listed.
This 4 week course consists of twice a week classes in the form of videos, assignments, demonstrations and/or handouts.
In each lesson, the Instructor will present a new topic related to Idea Development. This will consist of video lectures, demos, pdf handouts, and related materials.
Included with the class:
- Access to all class materials during your enrollment
- Discussion area to ask work with other students in a peer-to-peer format
- Downloadable homework and resource files
- Written assignments and visual assignments
- Basic level of drawing ability
- Good internet connection
- Drawing/painting supplies
You can begin your course immediately upon enrollment. A rolling enrollment allows the flexibility to begin, as you are able, along with the benefit of having a limited group of peers to study with through the four week course.
- Cost is $175 for non-subscribers of SVS and $149 for subscribers. To subscribe, go to www.svslearn.com to enroll in the monthly or annual plan.
- There will be weekly assignments (plan for this!)
9 fully realized value thumbnails and related process work
3 fully realized grayscale drawings,
3 media studies,
1 fully realized final complete portfolio pieces.
- Primary- 1 Per week at (2-3 hours+). Ideation and Design process work
- Secondary- 1 Per week (1 hour). Skill development through media experiments
- FINAL- 1 Fully realized finished illustration/image the last week of the course.
START HERE: OOA_Lesson OO: Orientation
OOB_Download: Assignment Sheet
OOC: Video: Course Introduction
OOD: Video: Importance of Ideas
OOE: Video: Project Organization & Ledger
OOFA_Download: Project Ledger (PDF)
OOFB_Download: Project Ledger (Excel)
OOG_Download: Glossary of Terms